How to program new Toyota keys without a scan tool
In my 2000 Sienna there is an immobilizer circuit embedded in the switch. I need to replace the tumbler part, but a replacement key has to be programmed with the immobilizer code.
I found online the instruction for how to program a blank transponder key for Siennas of later models, but could not find the particular sequence of actions for the 2000 XLE.
Here’s the method if you don’t have a scan tool. Note this is for a brand new key & ECM.
- Ensure SECURITY indicator light is flashing. SECURITY indicator is located on left side of instrument panel.
- Insert ignition key into ignition lock cylinder. Note that SECURITY indicator light should now remain on steady.
- Once ignition key registration is under way, SECURITY indicator light should turn off. After ignition key registration is complete, SECURITY indicator light should come on steady. Remove ignition key.
- If the registration was complete and system is operating normally when ignition key was removed from ignition lock cylinder, the SECURITY indicator light should flash. If ignition key registration was not completed with Engine Control Module (ECM) in automatic registration mode, a code 2-1 will be displayed by SECURITY indicator light. When inserting an already registered ignition key, a code 2-2 will be displayed by SECURITY indicator light.
- If programming additional ignition keys, repeat process starting with step 1. If additional ignition keys do not need programming, procedure is complete. SECURITY indicator light should go off once last ignition key (sub-key) is registered.
- To complete automatic registration mode, depress and release brake pedal at least 5 times within 15 seconds, or request automatic registration mode completion by using Toyota scan tool connected to Data Link Connector (DLC) No. 3.
Also when you want to add an additional master key
- Insert registered master key into ignition lock cylinder. Within 15 seconds of inserting master key into ignition lock cylinder, depress and release accelerator pedal 5 times.
- Within 20 seconds of depressing and releasing accelerator pedal, depress and release brake pedal 6 times. Remove master key from ignition lock cylinder.
- Within 10 seconds of removing master key from ignition lock cylinder, insert master key to be registered in ignition lock cylinder.
- Within 10 seconds of inserting master key to be registered in ignition lock cylinder, depress and release accelerator pedal one time. Ensure SECURITY indicator light flashes. SECURITY indicator is located on left side of instrument panel.
- After one minute, additional master key should be registered. SECURITY indicator light should turn off.
- If registering additional master keys, repeat process starting with step 3 within 10 seconds. The registration mode is complete after removing master key from ignition lock cylinder within 10 seconds and brake pedal is depressed or SECURITY indicator has turned off for at least 10 seconds.
Toyota key programmer:
- Support 4D (67,68) chip immobilizer reset (All keys lost).
2. Support 72 chip (WITH G, EUROPE) immobilizer reset (All keys lost) .American TOYOTA with G key Reset will upgrade soon!
3. Support smart key reset before 2009 (All keys lost).
4. Add / erase Keys for all of TOYOTA cars.
5. Add / erase smart keys for all of TOYOTA cars.
6. Add / erase remotes for most of TOYOTA cars.
7. No need to connect with a computer, plug and play, automatic transfer.
8. No need to buy tokens.
Toyota ECU programmer:
- WIFI support wireless connection.
2. Original Toyota TIS Techstream software support v12.00.127
- OS support both WINDOWS XP and Windows 7.
- Software support multi-languages: Chinese, English, French, Italian, Spanish, German, ect.
- Compatible with types protocols. can be very easy to connect various automotive buses to a PC
- Small size, easy to carry and convenient for use.
Toyota scan tools: